Thursday, February 26, 2009

How to Wash your Car Properly

First, realize that this is not very fun. Also consider the $20.00 you are saving. This is why you chose to do it. Start by spraying the entire car down, preferably out of the sun. Once all dirt and grime is off, fill a bucket with water and car soap. Begin scrubbing the paint with a soft cloth or sponge. Do not press too hard as it could cause scratches. Be sure to start from the top as the bottom is usually much dirtier. The last thing your wash is the wheels. You may want to use a seperate rag for this as they often have a lot of black brake dust on them. After the entire car is soapy, begin to rinse. Deliver a misty spray so that the soap will rinse faster. Be sure to spray under the car to rinse off any road salt as it rusts metal. Now you begin to dry the car. Use either a chamois cloth or another absorbant material that is designed for cars. As you dry, wring the water off of the cloth. Drying prevents ugly water marks which develop when water dries on the paints surface.
If you are really serious you can now clean the cars interior. Use glass cleaner on all windows and morrors. Remove the floor mats and shake them out on the ground. There will be loose sand and wrappers under them so you may want to vacuum as well. Wipe down the dash and instrument panel with a armarol wipe to remove dust and create a nice shine. Make sure there is no garbage or last months McDonald's fries under the seats. Wipe down the seats also with an interior spray. Now you can put everything back together and enjoy a clean, fresh smelling vehicle.

3 comments:

  1. I really like this blog. I think I will use this tomorrow, because my dad wants me to wash the car. Instead of paying for it, I will do it myself, and pocket the money, and buy bubblegum at the corner store.
    My favorite part of the piece is when you said "Make sure there is no garbage or last months McDonald's fries under the seats." I love eating at Mickey D's too, and I got lots of that crap under my car seat.
    My second favorite part was when you said "morrors" because you spelled mirrors wrong.
    Overall, I think that this really helps someone learn how to clean a car and get the "clean, fresh smelling vehicle" they've always wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first line really speaks to the way many people feel about washing the car. It'such a vivid feeling, but as the piece goes on, you make it sound like it is fun, which I find ironic. I also loved the detail of the fries under the seat and the candy wrappers under the mat. Those are the details that are really vivid for me.
    It also seems obvious that you wash your car because you have the process down to a science. Awesome advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post. I feel a lot of enthusiasm in this and i know for a fact you really love your car. Who wouldn't love a Charger? By reading this post I am assured that you do wash your car frequently and now know why it is always so fresh. The part about the fries on the floor is very true, something I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete